getting ready for the fire – in progress

two more sirens getting ready for completion – waiting for a kiln to be emptied (community kiln),

underglazed and  incised, stained, engobes and more colour applied and washed back – these pieces haven’t yet been bisqued.

embroidery textiles pieces obviously won’t go into the fire but will be applied later.  sweet_siren04 sweet_siren05

measuring white noise – rud-abot-bot

measuring white noise – rud -abot- bot would be a bit of fun if it wasn’t so serious – currently we are in the throes of a federal election –

and the choices provide slim pickings (rudd or abbott)  .  clay body, muslin wrapped head, stitched with vintage fabrics and vintage tape measure, vintage metal meccano.

measuring white noise_detail measuringwhitenoise01 measuringwhitenoise02

mother courage final (detail)

I have been trying to finish ‘mothercourage’ for entry into a sculpture prize which closes on thursday.  I have all but finished the work – fired it on saturday and started colouring sunday night. I finished colouring and waxing today.  I have one goodish detail photo but a photo of the whole piece is eluding me.  I think I will have to try again tomorrow. mother courage

bottom drawer

Originally intended for my exhibition  ‘Bottom Drawer: I wanna marry a Lighthouse Keeper’ is just one of the many that won’t fit into the space – probably quite a few will be edited out on  the day.

Clay , underglaze painting, and acrylic paints, stained and wax finish approx. 30cm


nonsense squared

Yesterday I took some old pieces of work out to Rosebed Street Gallery – the piece below is from 2008.  Vintage buttons, vintage silks from kimono , acrylic, gesso and wax.  The base is newspaper sheets folded into thick bands and then woven together, trapping a moment in time, half truths, lies and nonsense.

square root of nonsense120 x 120 cm
square root of nonsense
120 x 120 cm


last week I took my sewing machine into the life studio – usually i draw directly onto canvas or linen and then stitch – on thursday I stitched directly onto the canvas – trying to capture movement and feeling – the colour is watered down acrylic applied to the back of the canvas  This is the result after several more hours of stitching.