life drawing 28 march

some lovely things happening yesterday at life drawing – a terrific model (one of my favourites) and I was enjoying myself – what more can one ask for?

pastel on paper A2life_drawing28march2

 

charcoal on paper A1

life_drawing28march1

 

sketchbook entry A4  biro

life_drawing283

make over

My favourite pastime at the moment appears to be ‘make over’.  I have been working over St. Sebastion’s Wife for a few days now and finally I think the work maybe finished. I have posted the original and the ‘make over’.The new piece has several gel medium prints on silk from photos of my caryatids.

the make over

st. sebastion's wife  150 x 90
st. sebastion’s wife 150 x 90

 

mother courage final (detail)

I have been trying to finish ‘mothercourage’ for entry into a sculpture prize which closes on thursday.  I have all but finished the work – fired it on saturday and started colouring sunday night. I finished colouring and waxing today.  I have one goodish detail photo but a photo of the whole piece is eluding me.  I think I will have to try again tomorrow. mother courage

re-working?

caryatid_drawing2I have spent the day re-working this drawing and bringing some of the imagery from the background into the foreground and vice versa – might need to be sleeping on this a bit longer.  It is a large drawing 180 cm tall x 80 cm wide.

 

exhibition brochure to the printers

brochure_inside

I took my exhibition brochure to the printers last week but  when they did a trial print the blacks were all different colours – I have spent some time trying to amend the problem between a number of different software packages – finally (many hours later and much cursing) the problem is all but fixed and we are going to print.  Not much left to do now – yesterday I also picked up all the drawings from framers – looking good!  The brochure is A4 (landscape) and folds down the middle.

brochure_cover

mother courage – in progress 2

 

 

 

Progress on mother courage is going reasonably well.  I have finished  ‘six babies’ which fit snugly into her wings – currently lined with plastic – to stop the new wet clay from seeping through into the dry clay (hopefully).  I think most of the coconut fibre texture which is packed around the babies and their heads will burn out in firing.  To replicate this I think I will be able to make a slip from ‘air-hardening clay’ and more coconut fibre and just top it up to finish off the piece.  After firing I will probably finish with a mixture of ceramic stain and acrylic paint.  Time will tell 🙂  
mother_courage06 mother_courage07 mother_courage08 mother_courage09